Ok, so your on-page optimisation is complete, you’ve done your best. But, you are not on page #1 of Google. Why? Backlinks, that’s why. Are you ready to begin your off-page optimisation campaign?
The prime component of off-page optimisation is backlinks, these are links to your site from another website. Almost all of your efforts will be spent on building and managing your backlink catalogue. Why are backlinks important? Well, try reviewing the quantity of backlinks associated with the top ranking sites – you will find they are numerous. But, that’s not all…
Backlinks have different values, which equates to – some backlinks being better than others. And now to the point of this article, which backlinks should you be concentrating on – and which to avoid.
Link types to seek
- One way links – no link swapping!
- Links with relevant “Keywords” in the Anchor Text
- Links from industry-relevant pages
- Links from industry specific article pages
- Link to your site should not be through a “redirect” script
Link types to avoid
- Links from “framed” pages
- “flash” embedded links
- Paid or time-bound links
- Email spam used to solicit links.
- Links from Link Farms
- Links from FFA (Free-For-All) link networks
- Links from sites containing offensive content
- “no follow” links
- Links from pages with more than 80 outgoing links
The preceding link types to include – and avoid – will ensure your backlink campaign will be effective to the maximum, and wasteful to the minimum.
Future articles will concentrate on each link type, why you should include (or exclude) this in your link strategy and how to effectively campaign for the right types of links to maximise you site ranking.